Halloween is fast approaching, and for this year, a geek or nerd costume can be an inexpensive, easy, and comfortable alternative to other costume ideas. It has already become a classic costume for both boys and girls.
There are three main areas to consider when designing your perfect geek outfit: hair, clothing, and of course the most important accessories.
There are a few different routes you can go here, out of control, under maximum control and ‘cute’.
Perhaps the best known is the ‘out of control’ style. This has been proudly displayed by Einstein, Doc Brown (from Back to the Future), Napoleon Dynamite, and Cosmo Kramer (from Seinfeld).
On the other end of the spectrum is the ‘under maximum control’ style, which of course would be through large amounts of hair gel, and with a very prominent part (either in the middle or on the side, I don’t does). a lot matters). It’s probably debatable, but Donald Trump’s hairstyle ‘style’ can fall into this too.
For the ladies, there are the Ugly Betty style pigtails, which of course also lend themselves well to sexy nerdy costumes for girls. Hair ties are probably the most obvious addition here.
Nerd / geek outfits: Again, there are a few different paths you can take here.
- Buttoned shirt – must be fully buttoned!
- High Waters: Plaid pants are great, but just about any pants will do. Most importantly, they cannot reach more than 4 inches from the ankle. These can be lifted ridiculously high, like Steve Urkel, but it can be over the top (as well as being quite uncomfortable and requiring a change in posture).
- Shoes: White Vans or saddle shoes tend to work best.
- Schoolgirl skirt: essential for any ‘sexy nerd costume’!
- Lab / Medical Coat – For the scientific look.
- Socks – should be as close to the knee as possible and may also not match.
Nerd accessories: Lots to choose from here, mix and match
- Pocket Protector – Filled with real pens!
- Calculator – A calculator watch is a great substitute.
- Glasses: with or without tape, they should be dark, thick and made of plastic.
- Kick Me Note: For a spin, go for ‘Happy Halloween’!
- Tie: bow tie or straight, both work for both boys and girls.
- Belt and Suspenders – A true nerd needs maximum elevation for those high waters!
With a healthy selection of the above, you can come out in the perfect nerd / geek outfit, and you may even already have everything you need around your house!